History Podcasts

Port Plains - History

Port Plains - History



Port Plains


Port Plains - History

Another attempt to take Port Hudson failed on June 13, when the Confederates inflicted 1,805 casualties on the Union troops while losing fewer than 200. The Confederates held out until they learned of the surrender of Vicksburg. Without its upriver counterpart, Port Hudson, the last Confederate bastion on the Mississippi River, lacked strategic significance and the garrison surrendered on July 9, 1863. Today, the Port Hudson State Commemorative Area encompasses 889 acres of the northern portion of the battlefield, and has three observation towers, six miles of trails, a museum, a picnic area and restrooms. Four thousand Civil War veterans are buried at the Port Hudson National Cemetery, which stands just outside the old Confederate lines.

The Port Hudson State Commemorative Area is located at 236 Highway 61, in Jackson. The park is open 9:00am to 5:00pm daily, there is a fee for admission. Groups are requested to call 1-888-677-3400 in advance. Visit the park's website for further information.

The Port Hudson is the subject of an online-lesson plan produced by Teaching with Historic Places, a National Register program that offers classroom-ready lesson plans on properties listed in the National Register. To learn more, visit the Teaching with Historic Places home page.


From Saw Pit to Port Chester

Long before Port Chester was incorporated as a village 150 years ago, it was known, rather inelegantly, as Saw Pit.

The early inhabitants of the small village on the banks of the Byram River in eastern Westchester County became known for their boatbuilding skills. It was customary at the time to dig pits in the ground, stand the logs upright in the pits to cut and saw them for boatbuilding. Hence the name &ldquoSaw Pit,&rdquo which was first used in 1732 as a moniker for the village, according to History of the Village of Port Chester, New York, a 1968 book published by the village to celebrate its centennial.

The first English settlers arrived in what is now Port Chester from &ldquoGreenwidge&rdquo (Greenwich, CT) in 1660 and settled on &ldquoManussing&rdquo (Manursing) Island. Three of the settlers &mdash Thomas Studwell, Peter Disbrow, and John Coe &mdash made a deal with Shanarockwell, a chieftain of the Sewanay Indians of the Mohegan tribe, to buy the land at a price of &ldquoeight cotes, seven shirts, and fifteen fathoms (90 feet) of wampum.&rdquo

Along with boatbuilding, other early Saw Pit occupations included farming and trading, especially moving produce by boat between Saw Pit and New York City and digging for clams and oysters in the bank of the Byram River. According to legend, the Byram River got its name from the Indians who came to &ldquobuy rum&rdquo from white settlers.

As the small village grew and thrived, some residents pushed for a name change from Saw Pit to the more impressive-sounding &ldquoPort Chester,&rdquoafter Chester, in England, the birthplace of many early settlers. In 1837, the New York State Legislature approved and enacted the name change into law.

In the next step of its evolution, the Legislature granted a charter on May 14, 1868, which recognized Port Chester as a village with specified limits in the town of Rye. The new village had a population of about 3,500, six churches, one public and one parochial school, a foundry, two banks, several coal and lumberyards, a railroad station, and a few dozen stores, according to the 1968 history book.


The Eagle Iron and Stove Works foundry was one of the largest manufacturers in Port Chester in the late 1800s as it transformed from a farming community to an industrial town.

When it was incorporated, in 1868, the village was concentrated along the banks of the Byram River and Main Street from Grace Church Street to the Mill Street Bridge and dam and the lower part of Westchester Avenue, known then as Lyon&rsquos Point. At the time, village side streets and the road to White Plains were just beginning to be developed. While there were three volunteer fire companies, the only sources of water were private wells and the unpolluted Byram River, a favorite spot for swimming, until the village established its own Water Works in 1884.

Venturing to New York City was a day&rsquos journey, at best &mdash the roads were rutted and carried the risk of armed bandits attacking the stagecoaches. The trip became easier and safer with the 1879 launch of the Port Chester Transportation Company and the village&rsquos first regular steamboat service, between New York City and Port Chester three times a week with the steamers &ldquoPort Chester&rdquo and &ldquoGlenville&rdquo docked at the foot of Adee Street.

As Port Chester transformed from a farming community to an industrial town, the 1897 trolley line extension from Larchmont to Stamford, CT, brought more transportation options, particularly on Main Street, formerly a dirt road that often hosted horse racing. And in 1918, the Port Chester-White Plains Bus Line, organized by a group of taxicab operators, cut a trip into White Plains from more than an hour to just 15 minutes.

Transportation wasn&rsquot the only thing evolving. In 1868, Port Chester&rsquos first successful weekly finally found its footing in the Port Chester Journal, following four earlier failed weeklies. In 1888, each month the Journal printed the grades and deportment mark of every student in the Port Chester schools. The village&rsquos first daily newspaper followed in 1899 with The Daily Item, now under Gannett ownership and known, countywide, as The Journal News.

It wasn&rsquot until 1926 that a vaudeville playhouse theater, now the iconic Capitol Theatre, arrived. Built by Thomas Lamb, who was also responsible for the original Madison Square Garden, The Capitol Theatre remains one of Port Chester&rsquos landmarks and a destination for popular and headliner entertainment.

The village also made its mark nationally through another source of pride, the Port Chester High School Marching Band, with appearances in the Rose Bowl in Miami and the movies Spider-Man 3 and 1994 remake of Miracle on 34th Street.

Eons ago, Bill Cary majored in history at DukeUniversity. These days, he writes about local history whenever he can.


The Native Location

In 1839 the Native Location was established to ‘Christianise and civilise’ the Kaurna. It was soon moved from the south to the northern bank of the river, to a place called Pirltawardli, (brush-tail possum home). Local people were encouraged to camp or stay in the newly built dwellings. They were soon joined by two young German missionaries, Christian Gottlob Teichelmann and Clamor Wilhelm Schürmann, who established a ‘native school’ and recorded elements of Kaurna language and culture.

Teichelmann and Schürmann recognised a system of Kaurna land ownership. They wrote in 1840 that the term pangkarra referred to ‘a district or tract of country belonging to an individual, which he inherits from his father’. They also noted Mullawirraburka as an example of an individual taking as his name the name of his country (Mullawirra ) followed by - burka, or elder, which together denotes ownership. Mullawirraburka, a prominent Kaurna man, was called ‘King John’ by the colonists.

When Kaurna woman Kudnartu married Thomas Adams in 1848 she became the first Aboriginal woman to marry a colonist. The colonial government granted the couple land at Skillogalee Creek, near Clare. They had two sons, Thomas and Timothy, and later in life Thomas repeatedly applied, unsuccessfully, to regain this land.


Port Plains - History

The Interior Plains, of which the Great Plains is the western, mostly unglaciated part (fig. 2), is the least complicated part of our continent geologically except for the Coastal Plain. For most of the half billion years from 570 million (fig. 5) until about 70 million years ago, shallow seas lay across the interior of our continent (fig. 6). A thick sequence of layered sediments, mostly between 5,000 and 10,000 feet thick, but more in places, was deposited onto the subsiding floor of the interior ocean (table 1). These sediments, now consolidated into rock, rest on a floor of very old rocks that are much like the ancient rocks of the Superior Upland.

Figure 5.—Geologic time chart and progression of life forms. Note Cretaceous Triceratops, Oligocene Titanotheres, and Miocene Moropus. (click on image for an enlargement in a new window)

Figure 6.—Generalized paleogeographic map of the United States in Late Cretaceous time (65 to 80 million years ago), when most of the Great Plains was beneath the sea.

Table 1.—Generalized chart of rocks of the Great Plains.

CENOZOICGeologic ageMillions of years Ago Missouri Plateau-Black HillHigh Plains-Plains Border-Colorado Piedmont Pecos Valley-Edwards Plateau-Central Texas
QuaternaryPleistocene2 Glacial deposits, alluvium, and terrace deposits Alluvium, sand dunes, and loess Warping and stream deposition

Most of these rocks of marine origin lie at considerable depth beneath the land surface, concealed by an overlying thick, layered sequence of rocks laid down by streams, wind, and glaciers. Nevertheless, their geologic character, position, and form are exceptionally well known from information gained from thousands of wells that have been drilled for oil. The initial, nearly horizontal position of the layers of rock beneath the Interior Plains has been little disturbed except where mountains like the Black Hills were uplifted about 70 million years ago. At those places, which are all in the northern and southern parts of the Great Plains, the sedimentary layers have been warped up and locally broken by the rise of hot molten rock from depth. Elsewhere in the Interior Plains, however, earth forces of about the same period caused only a reemphasis of gentle undulations in the Earth's crust.

These undulations affected both the older basement rocks and the overlying sedimentary rocks, and they take the form of gentle basins and arches that in some places span several States. (See sketch map, figure 7.) A series of narrow basins lies along the mountain front on the west side of the Great Plains. A broad, discontinuous arch extends southwest from the Superior Upland to the Rocky Mountain front to form a buried divide that separates the large Williston basin on the north from the Anadarko basin to the south.

Figure 7.—Structural setting of the Great Plains. Williston basin and Anadarko basin are separated by a midcontinental arch.

While the flat-lying layers of the Interior Plains were being only gently warped, vastly different earth movements were taking place farther west, in the area of the present Rocky Mountains. Along a relatively narrow north-trending belt, extending from Mexico to Alaska, the land was being uplifted at a great rate. The layers of sedimentary rock deposited in the inland sea were stripped from the crest of the rising mountainous belt by erosion and transported to its flanks as the gravel, sand, and mud of streams and rivers. This transported sediment was deposited on the plains to form the rocks of the Cretaceous Hell Creek, Lance, Laramie, Vermejo, and Raton Formations. Vegetation thrived on this alluvial plain, and thick accumulations of woody debris were buried to ultimately become coal. This lush vegetation provided ample food for the hordes of three-horned dinosaurs (Triceratops) that roamed these plains. Their fossilized remains are found from Canada to New Mexico.

As the mountains continued to rise, the eroding streams cut into the old core rocks of the mountains, and that debris too was carried to the flanks and onto the adjoining plains. The mountainous belt continued to rise intermittently, and volcanoes began to appear about 50 million years ago. Together, the mountains and volcanoes provided huge quantities of sediment, which the streams transported to the plains and deposited. The areas nearest the mountains were covered by sediments of Late Cretaceous and Paleocene age (table 1) — the Poison Canyon Formation to the south, the Dawson and Denver Formations in the Denver area, and the Fort Union Formation to the north (fig. 8). Vegetation continued to flourish, especially in the northern part of the Great Plains, and was buried to form the thick lignite and subbituminous coal beds of the Fort Union Formation (fig. 9). The earliest mammals, most of whose remains come from the Paleocene Fort Union Formation, have few modern survivors.

Figure 8.—Progressive southward expansion of areas covered by Paleocene, Oligocene, and Miocene-Pliocene sedimentary deposits.

Figure 9.—Big Horn coal strip mine in Fort Union Formation at Acme, Wyo. Photograph by F W Osterwald, U.S. Geological Survey.

Beginning about 45 million years ago, in Eocene time, there was a long period of stability lasting perhaps 10 million years, when there was little uplift of the mountains and, therefore, little deposition on the plains. A widespread and strongly developed soil formed over much of the Great Plains during this period of stability. With renewed uplift and volcanism in the mountains at the end of this period, great quantities of sediment again were carried to the plains by streams and spread over the northern Great Plains and southeastward to the arch or divide separating the Williston and Anadarko basins (fig. 8). Those sediments form the White River Group, in which the South Dakota Badlands are carved. In addition to the Titanotheres, huge beasts with large, long horns on their snouts who lived only during the Oligocene (37 to 22 million years ago), vast herds of camels, rhinoceroses, horses, and tapirs—animals now found native only on other continents—grazed those Oligocene seimarid grassland plains.

Sometime between 20 and 30 million years ago the streams began depositing sand and gravel beyond the divide, and, for another 10 million years or more, stream sediments of the Arikaree and Ogallala Formations spread over the entire Great Plains from Canada to Texas, except where mountainous areas such as the Black Hills stood above the plains. Between 5 and 10 million years ago, then, the entire Great Plains was an eastward-sloping depositional plain surmounted only by a few mountain masses. Horses, camels, rhinoceroses, and a strange horselike creature with clawed feet (called Moropus) lived on this plain.

Sometime between 5 and 10 million years ago, however, a great change took place, apparently as a result of regional uplift of the entire western part of the continent. While before, the streams had been depositing sediment on the plains for more than 60 million years, building up a huge thickness of sedimentary rock layers, now the streams were forced to cut down into and excavate the sediments they had formerly deposited. As uplift continued—and it may still be continuing—the streams cut deeper and deeper into the layered stack and developed tributary systems that excavated broad areas. High divides were left between streams in some places, and broad plateaus were formed and remain in other places. The great central area was essentially untouched by erosion and remained standing above the dissected areas surrounding it as the escarpment-rimmed plateau that is the High Plains.

This downcutting and excavation by streams, then, which began between 5 and 10 million years ago, roughed out the landscape of the Great Plains and created the sections we call the Missouri Plateau, the Colorado Piedmont, the Pecos Valley, the Edwards Plateau, and the Plains Border Section. Nearly all the individual landforms that now attract the eye have been created by geologic processes during the last 2 million years. It truly is a young landscape.


Port Plains - History

Charles County, Maryland has rich heritage including many historic sites and landmarks. It was established in 1658 and was named for third Baron Baltimore, Charles Calvert. Waldorf, Maryland started as a rural crossroads originally called Beantown. The Balitmore and Potomac Railroad added a station to Waldorf in 1872. Benedict was established in 1683 and was one of the first ports on The Patuxent River. The town of La Plata, Maryland was name by Colonel Samuel Chapman, after the La Plata river. Indian Head, Maryland was established 1920 and is named for the Algonquin Indian Tribe. Port Tobacco was established in 1634, and is one of the oldest towns on the East Coast.

Charles County Historic Sites and Landmarks:

African American Heritage Society
7485 Crain Highway
La Plata, Maryland
(301) 843-0371

American Indian Cultural Center
16812 Country Lane
Waldorf, Maryland
(301) 372-1932

Dr. Samuel A. Mudd House
3725 Dr. Samuel Mudd Road
Waldorf, Maryland
(301) 274-9358

La Plata Train Station
101 Kent Avenue
La Plata, Maryland
(301) 934-8421

Mount Carmel Monastery
Mount Carmel Drive
La Plata, Maryland
(301) 934-1654

Port Tobacco Courthouse
Chapel Point Road
Port Tobacco, Maryland
(301) 934-4313

Port Tobacco One-Room Schoolhouse
Chapel Point Road
Port Tobacco, Maryland
(301) 932-6064

St. Ignatius Church
8855 Chapel Point Road
Port Tobacco, Maryland
(301) 934-8245

Thomas Stone National Historic Site
6655 Rose Hill Road
Port Tobacco, Maryland
(301) 392-1776

For more information about Charles County history click here

This Charles County website page is for History, Facts, Archives, Records, Museums, Exhibits, Documents, Genealogy, Libraries, Historians, Research, Historic Preservation, Ancestry and Statistics in St. Charles, La Plata, Indian Head, Waldorf, Port Tobacco Village, White Plains, Potomac Heights, Bryans Road, Bel Alton, Benedict, Bryantown, Dentsville, Doncaster, Faulkner, Ironsides, Mattawoman, Patuxent, Pisgah, Pomfret, Popes Creek, Potomac Heights, Redhill, Ripley, Rison, Riverside, Rock Point, Rogers Mill, Shiloh, Springhill, Warington Hills, Wellington Beach, White Plains, Wicomico and Beantown.


The Port

"After the Capital of the Confederacy there was not in the South a more important place than the little town of Wilmington, North Carolina." — John Johns, Confederate officer stationed in Civil War Wilmington

With a population of roughly 10,000 people, Wilmington weighed in as North Carolina's largest city on the eve of the American Civil War. It was still a small town by comparison, and Wilmington did not enjoy the success or reputation of larger port cities of the era, such as Savannah, Ga. Charleston, S.C. or New Orleans, La. Nevertheless, antebellum Wilmington flourished as an active seaport, engaging in the export of tar, pitch, turpentine, and lumber.

During the first years of the war, the Federal government focused its attention on the larger and more active Southern seaports, and aside from a vigilant blockade enacted by President Abraham Lincoln in 1861, Wilmington thrived in virtual anonymity. Bolstering its maritime commerce were two commercial shipyards, a sword and button factory, an iron works, several banks, and perhaps most importantly, three major railroads. The most notable of the latter was the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad, which ran directly north from Wilmington into Virginia — the very heart of the war's Eastern Theater. With its busy mercantile trade between New York, Philadelphia, and the Caribbean islands, Wilmington soon emerged as one of the most important cities in the Confederacy.

The town rapidly became a haven for various profit minded entrepreneurs who made a living by running the Federal blockade in order to supply the isolated South with needed military provisions, everyday necessities, and even luxury items. It was a rewarding trade. All through the war the Federal navy's thinly stretched blockading force struggled vainly to squelch the influx of foreign goods into the Confederacy. As blockade-running soared, Wilmington declined from a quaint and beautiful port city, "gay and social" in its dealings, to a bustling maritime center teeming with the dregs of society.

"Here resorted the speculators from all parts of the South, to attend the weekly auctions of imported cargoes," noted blockade-runner John Wilkinson, "and the town was infested with rogues and desperadoes, who made a livelihood by robbery and murder. It was unsafe to venture into the suburbs at night, and even in daylight there were frequent conflicts in the public streets, between the crews of the steamers in port and the [Confederate] soldiers stationed in the town, in which knives and pistols would be freely used and not unfrequently [sic] a dead body would rise to the surface of the water in one of the docks with marks of violence upon it . . . . The civil authorities were powerless to prevent crime."

As the social climate deteriorated many of Wilmington's permanent citizens left their houses and fled to the countryside. Those who remained were more inclined toward seclusion, as the city streets "swarmed with foreigners, Jews and Gentiles." Beggars lined the docks as the newly-arrived steamers unloaded their wares, and Wilmington's garrison troops struggled to keep order in a town turned upside down.

Times were hard, and despite the decline of Wilmington's social order, precious goods arriving at the docks were welcome indeed. As the war progressed everyday necessities, and certainly luxury items, became increasingly hard to come by. Soon the arrival of a heavily laden blockade-runner was looked to with great anticipation, as a needy population "looked the other way," glad to have an opportunity for obtaining items not otherwise available.

In November 1862, Maj. Gen. W. H. C. Whiting — brusque in manner and known for his abrasiveness — was assigned to command of the District of the Cape Fear. Whiting was transferred to Wilmington when Robert E. Lee restructured the Army of Northern Virginia at the request of Confederate president Jefferson Davis. Outspoken and candid, Whiting had criticized Davis' handling of military affairs in Virginia, and Lee also found Whiting's alarmist tendencies bothersome. The general was hurt by the transfer, but was well suited for his new post. He was a talented engineer, and the increasingly important city of Wilmington needed a strong defense system to repel any attempt by the Federal army or navy to close the port, and thereby deprive the Confederate cause of the sinews for waging war.

General Whiting enjoyed the confidence of the troops under his command, and "though there were constant rumors of expeditions against [Wilmington]," observed John Johns, "we scarcely believed they were coming . . . [but] it seemed singular to us that the United States should so long neglect to close the only port . . . of the Confederacy into which every 'dark of the moon' there ran half a dozen or so swift blockade runners, freighted with cannon, muskets, and every munition of war." As supplies of all sorts continued to pour into Wilmington, the military provisions were funneled straight up to Lee's army in Virginia via the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad — the "lifeline of the Confederacy."

The defenses of the City [of Wilmington] consisted of a chain or system of ponds, dams and earthworks extending in a crescent half around the north eastern side of the City, then from North East [Cape Fear] River to Smith's Creek and across a sand ridge . . . and a mile from the City all around. There were dams with water gauges at each of these ponds, and it is said to have been a very skillful piece of engineering. In the City were two batteries of Columbiad Cannons . . . . These batteries and chains of dams along with several Government sheds on the side of the river in front of the City, were the principal points to protect the 10th Battalion. These sheds at times were filled with immense quantities of goods and Government supplies landed there by the numerous fleets of blockade runners then coming into port just as eager to get our cotton, as we were to get the necessary goods brought for exchange. — Charles S. Powell, 10th North Carolina Battalion

Text used with permission. All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication prohibited.


Westchester County NY Newspapers and Obituaries

NOTE: Additional records that apply to Westchester County are also on the New York Newspapers and Obituaries page.

Westchester County Newspapers and Obituaries

Patent Trader 1956-1974 Chappaqua Public Library

Review Press (13 July 2000 - 27 December 2007) Hudson River Valley Heritage

The Item 1896-1904, 1911, 1914, 1921 Chappaqua Public Library

Ardsley On Hudson Newspapers and Obituaries

Ardsley NY Tribune 1897 Fulton History

Armonk Newspapers and Obituaries

Armonk Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

North Castle News 1963-2000 North Castle Public Library

North Castle Sun 1913-1946 North Castle Public Library

Bedford Newspapers and Obituaries

Bedford Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Briarcliff Manor Newspapers and Obituaries

Briarcliff Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Bronxville Newspapers and Obituaries

Bronxville Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Bronxville NY Reporter 1946-1952 Fulton History

Bronxville NY Review-Press and Reporter 1952-1979 Fulton History

The Bronxville Press (20 February 1925 - 1 April 1937) Hudson River Valley Heritage

The Bronxville Reporter (3 January 1946 - 26 March 1953) Hudson River Valley Heritage

The Bronxville Review (30 January 1902 - 1 April 1937) Hudson River Valley Heritage

The Bronxville Review Press Reporter (2 April 1953 - 6 July 2000) Hudson River Valley Heritage

The Bronxville Review-Press (8 April 1937 - 26 March 1953) Hudson River Valley Heritage

Town Report 08/25/2006 to 01/10/2013 Genealogy Bank

Chappaqua Newspapers and Obituaries

Chappaqua Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Chappaqua NY New Castle Tribune 1930-1950 Fulton History

Chappaqua Sun 1954-1956 Chappaqua Public Library

Chappaqua journal. Chappaqua, N.Y. 1980-08-28 to 1986-07-02 NYS Historic Newspapers

Inside Chappaqua 2003-2013 Chappaqua Public Library

New Castle news. Chappaqua, N.Y. 1945-11-01 to 1951-09-28 NYS Historic Newspapers

New Castle tribune. Chappaqua, N.Y. 1928-04-05 to 1959-12-31 NYS Historic Newspapers

The Chappaqua Journal 1980-1986 Chappaqua Public Library

The Item. Chappaqua, N.Y. 1896-11-12 to 1921-02-25 NYS Historic Newspapers

Cortlandt Newspapers and Obituaries

Cortlandt Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Croton-on-Hudson Newspapers and Obituaries

Croton Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to 11/13/2012 Genealogy Bank

Dobbs Ferry Newspapers and Obituaries

Dobbs Ferry Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to 06/14/2012 Genealogy Bank

Dobbs Ferry NY Greenburgh Register 1884-1894 Fulton History

Dobbs Ferry NY Register 1896-1970 Fulton History

Dobbs Ferry NY Sentinel 1926-1969 Fulton History

Rivertowns Daily Voice 08/02/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Eastchester Newspapers and Obituaries

Eastchester Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

The Eastchester Citizen-Bulletin (2 January 1918 - 29 December 1926) Hudson River Valley Heritage

Greenburgh Newspapers and Obituaries

Greenburgh Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Harrison Newspapers and Obituaries

Harrison Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Harrison Review 09/29/2006 to Current Genealogy Bank

Harrison Rising 01/16/2009 to Current Genealogy Bank

Hastings-on-Hudson Newspapers and Obituaries

Hastings Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to 07/13/2012 Genealogy Bank

Hastings NY Hastings on the Hudson News 1927-1969 Fulton History

Hastings NY On the Hudson Echo 1899-1925 Fulton History

Hastings NY on the Hudson Enterprise 1980-1989 Fulton History

Irvington Newspapers and Obituaries

The Irvington Gazette (18 October 1907 - 28 August 1969) Hudson River Valley Heritage

Katonah Newspapers and Obituaries

Katonah Record 1914-1922 Katonah Village Library

Katonah Times 1904-1909 Katonah Village Library

Katonah record. Katonah, N.Y. 1914-01-01 to 1922-12-29 NYS Historic Newspapers

North Westchester Times 1910-1913 Katonah Village Library

The Katonah Times 1899-1903 Katonah Village Library

The Katonah times. Katonah, N.Y. 1899-01-06 to 1909-11-05 NYS Historic Newspapers

The North Westchester times. Katonah, N.Y. 1910-01-07 to 1913-12-26 NYS Historic Newspapers

Larchmont Newspapers and Obituaries

Larchmont Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to 11/05/2012 Genealogy Bank

Larchmont NY Times 1925-1955 Fulton History

Sound & Town Report 09/29/2006 to 03/28/2013 Genealogy Bank

theLoop 01/04/2010 to Current Genealogy Bank

Lewisboro Newspapers and Obituaries

Lewisboro Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Lewisboro Ledger 06/24/2004 to 06/09/2016 Genealogy Bank

Mamaroneck Newspapers and Obituaries

Mamaroneck Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Mount Kisco Newspapers and Obituaries

Chappaqua sun. Mt. Kisco, N.Y. 1954-11-11 to 1956-09-27 NYS Historic Newspapers

Mount Kisco NY Recorder 1877-1891 Fulton History

Mt. Kisco Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Patent trader. Mount Kisco, N.Y. 1956-10-25 to 1974-12-28 NYS Historic Newspapers

The North Westchester times New Castle tribune. Mt. Kisco, N.Y. 1959-09-17 to 1963-12-31 NYS Historic Newspapers

Mount Pleasant Newspapers and Obituaries

Mount Pleasant Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Westchester Herald 01/15/1818 to 12/23/1856 Genealogy Bank

Mount Vernon Newspapers and Obituaries

Mount Vernon NY Chronicle 1875-1898 Fulton History

Mount Vernon NY Daily Argus 1892-1952 Fulton History

Mount Vernon NY News 1896-1900 Fulton History

Mount Vernon Rising 01/09/2009 to Current Genealogy Bank

The chronicle. Mount Vernon, N.Y. 1870-08-27 to 1898-05-27 NYS Historic Newspapers

New Castle Newspapers and Obituaries

New Castle Tribune 1928, 1930, 1932, 1934-5, 1937, 1941-1943, 1946-1959 Chappaqua Public Library

The New Castle News 1945-1946, 1950-1951 Chappaqua Public Library

The Times New Castle Tribune 1959-1963 Chappaqua Public Library

New Rochelle Newspapers and Obituaries

City Review - New Rochelle 10/20/2006 to Current Genealogy Bank

New Rochelle Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

New Rochelle NY Pioneer 1882-1919 Fulton History

New Rochelle NY Press 1897-1907 Fulton History

The New Rochelle pioneer. New Rochelle, N.Y. 1882-04-08 to 1919-04-05 NYS Historic Newspapers

North Castle Newspapers and Obituaries

North Castle Monitor 1929-1932 North Castle Public Library

The Sun 1915-1928 North Castle Public Library

Villager 1946-1956 North Castle Public Library

North Salem Newspapers and Obituaries

North Salem Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Ossining Newspapers and Obituaries

Hudson River Chronicle 10/24/1837 to 09/17/1850 Genealogy Bank

Ossining Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Ossining NY Citizen Register 1932-1960 Fulton History

Ossining NY Citizen Sentinel 1923-1934 Fulton History

Ossining NY Register 1931-1932 Fulton History

Ossining NY Reminder Weekly News 1970-1975 Fulton History

Sing Sing NY Democratic Register 1871-1902 Fulton History

Sing Sing NY Republican 1858-1890 Fulton History

Westchester Herald 01/15/1818 to 12/23/1856 Genealogy Bank

Peekskill Newspapers and Obituaries

Highland Democrat 10/29/1859 to 09/23/1876 Genealogy Bank

Peekskill Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Peekskill NY Evening Star 1924-1958 Fulton History

Peekskill NY Highland Democrat 1841-1940 Fulton History

Pelham Newspapers and Obituaries

Pelham Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Pelham NY Sun 1912-1945 Fulton History

Pelham Rising 01/16/2009 to Current Genealogy Bank

Pleasantville Newspapers and Obituaries

Pleasantville Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Port Chester Newspapers and Obituaries

Port Chester Daily Item 1918-1919 The Port Chester-Rye Brook Public Library

Port Chester Daily Voice 05/30/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Port Chester Journal 1868-1911 The Port Chester-Rye Brook Public Library

Port Chester NY Journal 1877-1911 Fulton History

Pound Ridge Newspapers and Obituaries

Pound Ridge Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Rye Newspapers and Obituaries

Rye City Review 10/20/2006 to 05/31/2019 Genealogy Bank

Rye Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Rye NY Chronicle 1907-1979 Fulton History

Rye Rising 01/09/2009 to Current Genealogy Bank

Scarsdale Newspapers and Obituaries

Scarsdale Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Scarsdale Inquirer 1901 - 1919 Hudson River Valley Heritage

Sleepy Hollow Newspapers and Obituaries

Sleepy Hollow Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to 05/31/2012 Genealogy Bank

Somers Newspapers and Obituaries

Somers Daily Voice 06/05/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Tarrytown Newspapers and Obituaries

Tarrytown NY Daily News 1932-1979 Fulton History

Tarrytown daily news. Tarrytown, N.Y. 1914-01-02 to 1931-12-31 NYS Historic Newspapers

Tarrytown-Sleepy Hollow Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Tuckahoe Newspapers and Obituaries

The Tuckahoe Record (17 December 1925 - 12 November 1931) Hudson River Valley Heritage

Valhalla Newspapers and Obituaries

Viking News, The: Westchester Community College 10/29/2013 to 09/11/2018 Genealogy Bank

White Plains Newspapers and Obituaries

Eastern state journal. White Plains, N.Y. 1845-05-15 to 1917-03-03 NYS Historic Newspapers

Journal News 1945-2020 Newspapers.com

The White Plains argus. White Plains, N.Y. 1896-12-08 to 1906-11-05 NYS Historic Newspapers

The daily press. White Plains, N.Y. 1929-04-01 to 1930-03-22 NYS Historic Newspapers

White Plains Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

White Plains NY Eastern State Journal 1845-1917 Fulton History

White Plains daily argus. White Plains, N.Y. 1908-11-21 to 1913-09-30 NYS Historic Newspapers

Yonkers Newspapers and Obituaries

Eastchester Rising 10/31/2008 to Current Genealogy Bank

Herald Statesman 1932-1998 Newspapers.com

North Castle Rising 01/23/2009 to Current Genealogy Bank

Sound View Rising 01/16/2009 to Current Genealogy Bank

Statesman 1863-1874 Newspapers.com

Westchester Rising 01/16/2009 to Current Genealogy Bank

Yonkers Daily Record 1883-1883 Newspapers.com

Yonkers Examiner 1857-1863 Newspapers.com

Yonkers Gazette 1868-1893 Newspapers.com

Yonkers Herald 1891-1932 Newspapers.com

Yonkers NY Herald Statesman 1922-1985 Fulton History

Yonkers NY Statesman 1863-1932 Fulton History

Yonkers Rising 11/14/2008 to Current Genealogy Bank

Yonkers Statesman 1875-1886 Newspapers.com

Yonkers Statesman 1883-1921 Newspapers.com

Yonkers Statesman 1924-1932 Newspapers.com

Yonkers Statesman and the Yonkers Daily News 1921-1924 Newspapers.com

Yonkers Tribune 03/08/2007 to Current Genealogy Bank

Yorktown Newspapers and Obituaries

Yorktown Daily Voice 06/06/2011 to Current Genealogy Bank

Offline Newspapers for Westchester County

According to the US Newspaper Directory, the following newspapers were printed in this county, so there may be paper or microfilm copies available. For more information on how to locate offline newspapers, see our article on Locating Offline Newspapers.

Armonk: North Castle News. (Armonk, N.Y.) 1963-Current

Armonk: Sun. (Armonk, N.Y.) 1913-1937

Armonk: Westchester Times and the New York People. (New York) 1886-1891

Bedford: Villager. (Bedford Village [I.E. Bedford], N.Y.) 1947-1956

Bronxville: Bronxville Press. (Bronxville, N.Y.) 1925-1937

Bronxville: Bronxville Reporter. (Bronxville, N.Y.) 1940-1952

Bronxville: Bronxville Review-Press. (Bronxville, Westchester County, N.Y.) 1937-1953

Bronxville: Bronxville Review. (Bronxville, N.Y.) 1901-1937

Bronxville: Review Press-Reporter. (Bronxville, Town of Eastchester, N.Y.) 1953-2000

Chappaqua: Chappaqua Journal. (Chappaqua, N.Y.) 1980-Current

Cross River: Lewisboro Ledger. (Cross River, N.Y.) 1976-1981

Croton-on-Hudson: Croton Journal. (Croton-On-Hudson, N.Y.) 1894-1910

Croton-on-Hudson: Croton-Cortlandt News. (Croton-On-Hudson, N.Y.) 1955-1986

Dobbs Ferry: Greenburgh Register. (Dobbs' Ferry, N.Y.) 1879-1894

Harrison: Harrison Independent. (Harrison, N.Y.) 1962-Current

Harrison: Independent Herald of Westchester. (Harrison, N.Y.) 1964-1968

Hartsdale: Gayzette. (Hartsdale, Ny) 1997-Current

Hartsdale: Greenburgh Inquirer. (Hartsdale, N.Y.) 1982-1987

Hastings-on-Hudson: Enterprise. (Hastings-On-Hudson, N.Y.) 1980-1997

Hastings-on-Hudson: Hastings Independent. (Hastings-On-Hudson, N.Y.) 1970-1974

Hastings-on-Hudson: Hastings News. (Hastings-On-Hudson, N.Y.) 1897-1970

Hastings-on-Hudson: Rivertowns Enterprise. (Hastings-On-Hudson, N.Y.) 1997-Current

Hastings-on-Hudson: Westchester County Press. (Hastings On Hudson, N.Y.) 1928-Current

Irvington: Irvington Gazette. (Irvington-On-Hudson, N.Y.) 1907-1969

Irvington: Irvington Viewpoint. (Irvington, N.Y.) 1990-Current

Katonah: Katonah Times. (Katonah, N.Y.) 1878-1911

Katonah: North Westchester Times. (Katonah, N.Y.) 1909-1959

Katonah: Record. (Katonah, N.Y.) 1913-1956

Larchmont: Larchmont Times. (Larchmont, N.Y.) 1923-1955

Larchmont: Larchmonter-Times. (Larchmont, N.Y.) 1908-1922

Mamaroneck: Daily Times. (Mamaroneck, N.Y.) 1925-1998

Mount Kisco: Mount Kisco Recorder. (Mt. Kisco, Westchester County, N.Y.) 1874-1940

Mount Kisco: Patent Trader. (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) 1956-Current

Mount Pleasant: Westchester Herald [Microform]. (Mount Pleasant, N.Y.) 1818-1829

Mount Pleasant: Westchester Herald and Putnam Gazette. (Mount Pleasant [I.E. Ossining], N.Y.) 1830-1833

Mount Pleasant: Westchester Herald. (Mount Pleasant, Village of Sing Sing [N.Y.]) 1834-1857

Mount Pleasant: Westchester Herald. (Mount-Pleasant, in the Village of Sing-Sing, N.Y.) 1818-1829

Mount Vernon: Argus. (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) 1879-1902

Mount Vernon: Chronicle-Record. (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) 1898-1901

Mount Vernon: Chronicle. (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) 1869-1898

Mount Vernon: Daily Argus. (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) 1892-1994

Mount Vernon: Eastchester Independent and Westchester County Courier. (Mount Vernon [N.Y.]) 1873-1879

Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon Leader. (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) 1904-1907

Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon Record. (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) 1897-1898

Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon Record. (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) 1901-1907

Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon Times. (Mount Vernon, Ny) 1987-1990

Mount Vernon: Record. (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) 1892-1897

Mount Vernon: Westchester County Anzeiger. (Mount Vernon [N.Y.]) 1874-1904

Mount Vernon: Westchester County Record. (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) 1884-1892

Mount Vernon: Westchester Democrat. (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) 1870-1872

New Rochelle: Evening Standard. (New Rochelle, N.Y.) 1909-1923

New Rochelle: New Rochelle Paragraph. (New Rochelle, N.Y.) 1894-1920

New Rochelle: New Rochelle Pioneer. (New Rochelle [N.Y.]) 1860-1920

New Rochelle: New Rochelle Press. (New Rochelle, N.Y.) 1875-1919

New Rochelle: Review Press. (New Rochelle, N.Y.) 2000-Current

New Rochelle: Sound & Town Report. (New Rochelle, Ny) 1998-Current

New Rochelle: Standard-Star. (New Rochelle, N.Y.) 1923-1998

New Rochelle: Westchester News. (New Rochelle, N.Y.) 1853-1856

North Tarrytown: Mt. Pleasant News. (North Tarrytown, N.Y.) 1897-1912

Ossining: Citizen Register. (Ossining, N.Y.) 1932-1998

Ossining: Citizen Sentinel. (Ossining, N.Y.) 1919-1932

Ossining: Daily Citizen. (Ossining, N.Y.) 1902-1919

Ossining: Democratic Register. (Sing Sing [Ossining], N.Y.) 1868-1931

Ossining: Hudson River Chronicle [Microform]. (Sing-Sing [Ossining], N.Y.) 1837-1860

Ossining: Ossining Courier. (Ossining, N.Y.) 1943-1946

Ossining: Ossining Evening Register. (Ossining, N.Y.) 1931-1932

Ossining: Republican. (Sing Sing [Ossining], N.Y.) 1857-1882

Ossining: Sing Sing Republican. (Sing Sing, N.Y.) 1882-1901

Peekskill: Evening Star. (Peekskill, [N.Y.]) 1922-1985

Peekskill: Highland Eagle. (Peekskill [N.Y.]) 1851-1858

Peekskill: Messenger-Critic. (Peekskill, Westchester County, N.Y.) 1894-1920

Peekskill: Peekskill Critic. (Peekskill, N.Y.) 1890-1894

Peekskill: Peekskill Daily Union. (Peekskill, N.Y.) 1901-1936

Peekskill: Peekskill Evening News. (Peekskill, N.Y.) 1901-1918

Peekskill: Peekskill Herald. (Peekskill, N.Y.) 1986-1999

Peekskill: Peekskill Messenger. (Peekskill, N.Y.) 1872-1894

Peekskill: Peekskill Messenger. (Peekskill, Westchester County, N.Y.) 1861-1869

Peekskill: Peekskill Republican. (Peekskill [N.Y.]) 1845-1857

Peekskill: Republican. (Peekskill [N.Y.]) 1844-1845

Peekskill: Westchester & Putnam Republican. (Peekskill, N.Y.) 1833-1844

Peekskill: Westchester & Putnam Sentinel. (Peekskill, N.Y.) 1830-1833

Pelham: Pelham Weekly. (Pelham, Ny) 1992-Current

Pelham: Republican-Record. (Pelham, N.Y.) 1907-1913

Pelham: Westchester Times and the New York People. (New York) 1886-1891

Pleasantville: Chronicle. (Pleasantville, N.Y.) 1993-Current

Pleasantville: Mail Bag. (Pleasantville, N.Y.) 1943-1945

Pleasantville: Pleasantville Chronicle. (Pleasantville, N.Y.) 1988-1993

Pleasantville: Pleasantville Post. (Pleasantville, N.Y.) 1980-1986

Pleasantville: Saw Mill River Record. (Pleasantville, N.Y.) 1974-1976

Port Chester: Daily Item. (Port Chester, N.Y.) 1931-1998

Port Chester: Port Chester Daily Item. (Port Chester, N.Y.) 1899-1931

Port Chester: Port Chester Journal and Westchester County Advertiser. (Port Chester, N.Y.) 1868-1876

Port Chester: Port Chester Journal. (Port Chester, N.Y.) 1876-1914

Port Chester: Port Chester Monitor. (Port Chester, N.Y.) 1864-1867

Port Chester: Port Chester Westmore News. (Port Chester, N.Y.) 2001-Current

Port Chester: Rye Brook Westmore News. (Port Chester, N.Y.) 2001-Current

Rye: Rye Chronicle. (Rye, N.Y.) 1905-Current

Rye: Rye Record. (Rye, N.Y.) 1996-Current

Scarsdale: Record-Review of Bedford and Pound Ridge. (Scarsdale, N.Y.) 1995-Current

Scarsdale: Scarsdale Home News. (Scarsdale, N.Y.) 1943-1946

Scarsdale: Scarsdale Inquirer. (Scarsdale, N.Y.) 1901-Current

Shenorock: Informer. (Shenorock, N.Y.) 1983-Current

Sleepy Hollow: Village News & Town Report. (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.) 1997-Current

Somers: Somers Museum. (Somers, Formerly Stephentown, N.Y.) 1809-1810

South Salem: Lewisboro Chronicle. (South Salem, N.Y.) 1946-1948

Tarrytown: Daily News. (Tarrytown, N.Y.) 1931-1995

Tarrytown: Sunnyside Press. (Tarrytown, N.Y.) 1880-1893

Tarrytown: Tarrytown Argus. (Tarrytown, N.Y.) 1867-1920

Tarrytown: Tarrytown Daily News. (Tarrytown, N.Y.) 1912-1931

Tarrytown: Tarrytown News. (Tarrytown, N.Y.) 1897-1912

Tarrytown: Tarrytown Press-Record. (Tarrytown, N.Y.) 1887-1946

Tuckahoe: Community Citizen. (Tuckahoe, N.Y.) 1928-1933

Tuckahoe: Eastchester Citizen-Bulletin. (Tuckahoe, N.Y.) 1899-1928

Tuckahoe: Eastchester Record. (Tuckahoe, N.Y.) 1951-Current

Tuckahoe: Tuckahoe Record. (Tuckahoe, N.Y.) 1925-1931

Valhalla: Viking News. (Valhalla, N.Y.) 1998-Current

White Plains: Daily Reporter. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1905-1941

White Plains: Eastern State Journal. (White Plains, Westchester County, N.Y.) 1845-1918

White Plains: Evening Record. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1902-1919

White Plains: Herald of Westchester. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1936-1964

White Plains: Journal News. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1998-Current

White Plains: Mount Vernon Argus. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1994-1998

White Plains: Reporter Dispatch. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1941-1998

White Plains: Semi-Weekly Clarion. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1862-1863

White Plains: Suburban Street. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1976-1995

White Plains: Tarrytown Daily News. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1995-1998

White Plains: Tech Gazette. (White Plains, N.Y) 1948-1953

White Plains: Times. (White Plains, N.Y.) 2001-Current

White Plains: Westchester County Reporter. (White Plains, Westchester County, N.Y.) 1887-1917

White Plains: Westchester News. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1871-1931

White Plains: White Plains Argus. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1896-1908

White Plains: White Plains Daily Argus. (White Plains, Westchester County, N.Y.) 1908-1919

White Plains: White Plains Daily Record. (White Plains, Westchester County, N.Y.) 1904-1919

White Plains: White Plains Watch. (White Plains, N.Y.) 1997-Current

White Plains: White-Plains Gazette. (White-Plains, N.Y.) 1828-1829

Yonkers: Gazette. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1864-1866

Yonkers: Herald Statesman. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1932-1998

Yonkers: Mt. Vernon Independent. (Yonkers, N.Y) 1991-Current

Yonkers: Sound View News. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1981-Current

Yonkers: Statesman. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1863-1874

Yonkers: Westchester Crusader. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 2002-Current

Yonkers: Yonkers Daily Herald. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1867-1872

Yonkers: Yonkers Examiner. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1856-1863

Yonkers: Yonkers Gazette. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1866-1923

Yonkers: Yonkers Herald. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1852-1864

Yonkers: Yonkers Herald. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1889-1932

Yonkers: Yonkers Statesman. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1875-1899

Yonkers: Yonkers Statesman. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1883-1921

Yonkers: Yonkers Weekly Herald. (Yonkers, N.Y.) 1872-1876

Yorktown Heights: North County News. (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) 1978-Current

Yorktown Heights: Yorktown Herald. (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) 1924-1956

How to Use This Site Video

New York Map

Westchester County shown in red

Research Tip

Local newspapers recorded a variety of information about people in the area where the newspaper was published. Obituaries or death notices were often recorded a few days after a person's death. Marriages and births may also have been recorded in newspapers. Detailed obituaries were not common previous to the 1890s. Sometimes there wasn't a local newspaper printed in a particularly town, but people in that town may have been mentioned in a newspaper in a town or larger city nearby.


History & Culture

The confrontation at Fort Necessity in the summer of 1754 was the prelude to the war fought by England and France for control of the North American continent. The struggle was known in North America as the French and Indian War and spread around the world as the Seven Years' War. It ended in 1763 with the removal of French power from North America and India. The action at Fort Necessity was also the first major event in the military career of George Washington. It was the only time he ever surrendered to an enemy.

The National Road

By early in the 19th century, the wilderness of the Ohio country had given way to settlement. The road Washington cut through the forest was replaced by the National Road. The road passed by Fort Necessity and bustled with traffic heading from port to plains and plains to port.

The Mount Washington Tavern was built near Fort Necessity as a stagecoach stop on the National Road. Today it is a museum dealing with life along the Road.


The Site Today

In the late 1950s and early 1960s, archaeologists uncovered foundations from Brunswick's earliest days. The most visible structure is the hulk of St. Philip's Anglican Church with its surviving walls dating back to 1754. Another interesting foundation is Russellborough, an old sea captain's house that was used by royal governors Tryon and Dobbs.

The visitor center houses several displays that cover the time periods of both the old town and the fort. In the lobby is a colorful mural created by Claude Howelland Catherine Hendricksen depicting a scene from a Spanish attack on the town in 1748. A cannon on display was recovered from the river in 1986 and is believed to be from the Spanish ship Fortuna, which blew up in the river as the townspeople regained control of the port.

The remains of homes, businesses, and other buildings bear witness to the story of Brunswick. Along with artifacts from the Civil War and the imposing mounds of Fort Anderson, this site offers a unique look at two fascinating periods of American history.

"For there are deeds that should not pass away,
And names that must not wither."
- Plaque in St. Philip's Church

List of site sources >>>


Watch the video: Salamis 480 BC: The Battle for Greece (January 2022).